By Brother Floyd Byerley
Past Master and Former District Deputy Grand Master
30th Masonic District
Written for the 50th anniversary of the lodge in 2003
In early 1953 a small group of Masons banded together to consider forming a new Masonic Lodge in the South Park Area of Houston. After a number of organizational meetings, they were ready to approach the Grand Lodge in December 1953 for a charter. The proposed name of the new Lodge was South Park Lodge, but since there was already a South Park Lodge in Beaumont, Texas, another name had to be selected. At Grand Lodge, it was agreed that the new name would be Walter M. Pierson, a prominent Mason in the Houston area who had passed away earlier in 1953.
For the first years, the Lodge met at East Gate Lodge, then located at Sherman and Wayside, Houston, Texas. Brother C.E. King, one of the owner's of King Center Shopping Center, donated the land where the new Lodge would be built. The foundation was poured, the steel framework was raised and members of the Lodge built the rest of the building. They would meet after getting off from work and work until dark. Many of the building materials were donated and members did the plumbing and electrical wiring. Finally, the building was finished and the cornerstone was placed in 1958 and the brethren were in their new building.
The Lodge added many new members and took its place among the lodges in the 30th Masonic District. It soon became as a very friendly Lodge, that always welcomed and greeted visitors. It continued to grow and we had well over 300 members at its peak.
For many years Norma D. Allen Chapter No.1050, Order of the Eastern Star, met at Walter M. Pierson Lodge. It continued to meet there until it merged with Magnolia Chapter No.706, Order of the Eastern Star on June 1, 2002.
We were also fortunate to have Garden Villas Assembly No.183 Order of Rainbow for Girls meet at our Lodge for several years.
The Lodge grew and prospered in the coming years and in 1970 we had a mortgage burning ceremony with Past Grand Master J.W. Chandler being the guest speaker at the program.
Down through the years, our Lodge has had several District Deputy Grand Masters, several Presidents of the Masters Wardens and Secretaries Association, a Grand Representative, District Instructor and a number of brethren who have distinguished themselves as officers in other Masonic bodies and were active in the Order of the Eastern Star.
Like many other organizations today, we are struggling to maintain our membership and finances have been tight. Our Lodge neighborhood has deteriorated and we are looking for a more suitable location. Due to a financial landfall, from the will of a Brother Mason, our financial situation has improved and with the positive attitude of our membership, we will find an improved location for the future.
We are looking forward to the future and with the strong positive attitude of the members, Walter M. Pierson Lodge will be a dominant factor in Masonry in the 30th Masonic District for many years to come.
Eastwood Lodge No. 1383 merged with Walter M. Pierson Lodge No. 1339 sometime in 2006.
Walter M. Pierson Lodge No. 1339 50th Anniversary Book
History is written by Brother Floyd Byerley, PM, PDDGM